Happy New Year 2024 to all our members and visitors! Our Forum is Now Back Online After Some Critical Upgrade- We Apologize for the inaccessibility Period! Thank You all. CORONAVIRUS safety tips from Admin! 1. Watch your hands with running water 2. Dont cough in your hands 3. Keep distance from people 4. Stay indoor if neccessary!! Stay safe !!! Dear Members,Do you know that naijacrux is fully programmed to serve you better, Do you know that you can share your favorite post on naijacrux with friends on twitter,facebook, googleplus,myspace and many more! To share post on naijacrux with friends and family on twitter, facebook,googleplus,myspace,and many more, scroll to the down page of the post, Click on the Social Icon You Want To Share On To Share.

Author Topic: US Texas inmate executed for setting fire that killed 3 children  (Read 1410 times)

Offline mastercode

• Global Moderator
US Texas inmate executed for setting fire that killed 3 children
« on: November 19, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »
A Texas inmate was executed on Wednesday for setting a fire that killed his 18-month-old daughter and her two young half-sisters at an East Texas home 15 years ago.

Raphael Holiday, 36, became the 13th convicted killer put to death this year in Texas, which carries out capital punishment more than any other state. It has accounted for half of all executions in the US so far this year.

The lethal injection was carried out after the US Supreme Court rejected an appeal seeking to halt Holiday's punishment so new attorneys could be appointed to pursue additional unspecified appeals in his case.

Earlier on Wednesday, the judge in Holiday's trial court stopped the execution after Holiday's trial attorney filed an appeal saying the conviction and some trial testimony were both improper. The judge agreed the issues should be reviewed and withdrew his execution warrant. The Texas attorney general's office appealed, the judge's order voided and the warrant reinstated, clearing the way for the lethal injection to move forward.

At the Supreme Court, Austin-based lawyer Gretchen Sween argued that Holiday's court-appointed attorneys abandoned him after the justices in June refused to review his case. Those lawyers advised Holiday his legal issues were exhausted and new appeals and a clemency petition would be fruitless.

'I'm not afraid of dying'

Holiday protested, wrote a federal judge to order them off his case and asked that Sween be allowed to represent him.

"I'm not afraid of dying," Holiday told The Associated Press recently from a visiting cage outside death row. "I know at some point we all die. It's just the way of dying.

"If I have to die, I want at least a fair chance of fighting."

Holiday insisted he didn't know how the log cabin he once shared with his common-law wife and the children in the Madison County woods about 100 miles north of Houston caught fire in September 2000.

"I loved my kids," Holiday said. "I never would do harm to any of them."

Evidence and testimony showed Holiday was irate over a protective order his estranged wife obtained after his arrest for sexually assaulting one of the children. Holiday, from prison, contended he knew nothing about the assault.

18 killed as army jets bomb armed groups? hideouts in Khyber border region

Started by jchima14

Replies: 0
Views: 1650
Last post October 26, 2014, 10:28:22 PM
by jchima14
Al-Qaeda Jihadists storms Mali hotel , 27 killed in Radisson hostage mission

Started by yungcrux

Replies: 0
Views: 1906
Last post November 20, 2015, 11:29:45 PM
by yungcrux