Through Research I have identified and made a list of top
15 SEO practices that I tend to forget
quite often. These simple SEO techniques,
if practiced properly, can make a
significant difference as to how my
pages are ranked in the Search Engine
1. Use proper anchor text for inter-
links. Don’t use “here”, “there” etc
for the anchor text (if you can avoid
2. Optimize the images, always create
alt tags and write description in the
3. Use search engine friendly
permalinks. Try not to have too
many ‘&’, ‘?’, ‘!’ etc characters in the
URL. Sometimes it is unavoidable
but try to keep it to a minimum.
4. Use hyphens (-) between words to
5. Do not use underscores (_) in URLs,
use hyphens (-) instead.
6. Do not use session id in URLs. If you
are using good hosting then you
shouldn’t have to worry about this
7. Avoid using capital letters in URLs.
Windows servers are case
sensitive. Keep them lowercase so
there’s no confusion.
8. Use internal linking when possible
9. Use sticky posts (if you can and if it
applies to you).
10. Have a category description
11. Let the visitors subscribe to
category specific RSS feed. (Use
category specific RSS plugin for
12. Use rel=”nofollow” tag on low value
links to not pass the page rank
juice. For example “Read the rest of
the entry”, “About”, “Contact” etc.
13. Use sub-directories rather than
sub-domains when possible. Sub-
domains do not share link love
from the main domain as it is
treated as a different domain.
14. Research the target audience and
aim the site content appropriately.
15. Keep the content up to date.
Visitors don’t like outdated content.
Updating the content frequently
also attracts the Search engines
spiders to index the web pages