Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Author Topic: Donald Trump vows to pull ?700m investment from Scotland if denied entry to UK  (Read 184 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline newspostng

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 355
    • View Profile

US Presidential Election Republican frontrunner Donald Trump has threatened to withhold ?700m of investment in Scotland if he is banned from entering the UK.
As British MPs prepare to debate later this month whether or not the US presidential hopeful should be refused permission, Trump has said any restrictions on his movement to Britain would see him withdraw millions of pounds of investment from golfing projects in Scotland.

The debate in parliament comes after the billionaire presidential candidate called for a temporary ban on Muslims entering the US. It was scheduled after more than half a million people signed a government petition.
In a statement issued on Wednesday, the Trump Organisation said its plans to invest a total of ?700m in the billionaire's two Scottish golf resorts - Trump Turnberry in south Ayrshire and the Trump International Golf Links near Aberdeen - would be suspended if any such measure was taken.
"Any action to restrict travel would force The Trump Organisation to immediately end these and all future investments we are currently contemplating in the United Kingdom," it said.

"Westminster would create a dangerous precedent and send a terrible message to the world that the United Kingdom opposes free speech and has no interest in attracting inward investment."
The company said banning Trump from the UK would also "alienate the many millions of United States citizens who wholeheartedly support Mr Trump".

It added: "Many people now agree with Mr Trump that there is a serious problem that must be resolved. This can only be achieved if we are willing to discuss these tough issues openly and honestly."
Trump prompted widespread condemnation last month when he suggested there should be a "total and complete" shutdown on Muslims entering the US to prevent terrorist attacks.
He spoke out after a Muslim couple, Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik, attacked a health facility in San Bernardino, California, that left 14 people dead and wounded more than 20.