Naijacrux News:Welcome to Naijacrux Online Forum..Great Place To Get Tips Facts Updates and More ,Interact Discuss & Learn With Others !!.remember to register to enjoy much more update!!!New Updates From Naijacrux -Naijacrux Is Now Mobile Friendly - Download Our Android App On Our Forum Rules And Announcement Section.Our App Will be Live On Google Playstore And IOS Store Soon Aswell - CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD NAIJACRUX ANDROID APP !!! Dear Guest And Naijacrux Dedicated Members,!!! ,  You Can Now Receive Naijacrux Weekly New Post and Updates Via Email by Subscribing To Our Newsletter Using The Subscribe Button Above The Naijacrux Announcement And Discussion At The Top Home Page!!Never Miss A New Post And Updates Again.!Thank You.  !!!YOU ARE WELCOME TO NAIJACRUX INFORMATIVE LEARNING AND INTERACTIVE FORUM.This Website is an Intensive Forum of Learning We recommend you Register & Login to Enjoy much free stuffs ::>>Also remember to Update your Profile Immediately after registration. Thank you!>>>!!!!To All Advertisers And Patronizers, kindly Send Mail To Support@naijacrux.com For adverts Placement. thanks!!!

Author Topic: Four killed as Bristow helicopter crashes into the Lagos Lagoon [Photo]  (Read 1418 times)

Offline internet police

• Global Moderator
  • do not spam this forum

Four bodies have been recovered from the wreckage of the helicopter that crashed into the Lagos Lagoon on Wednesday afternoon.

Naijacrux learnt that four people were killed, while no fewer than six others sustained varying degrees of injury.

The aircraft crashed about five minutes to its scheduled landing time at the Murtala Muhammed Airport, Lagos.

The helicopter, with registration number, 5N-BDG-760540, was coming from one of the oil rigs in the country.

It was learnt that many of the victims were working for an oil service firm, which was doing a job for a multinational oil company. The oil workers were coming back to Lagos when the incident occurred. The identities of the victims had yet to be known.

Naijacrux gathered that some fishermen, who were operating on the water at the time the incident happened, initiated the rescue mission.

Agencies, including the Accident Investigation Bureau, Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, the Lagos State Fire Service, the police, Nigerian Airspace Management Agency, and the National Emergency Management Agency, were seen making efforts to recover the remaining two persons in the water.

The two missing persons had yet to be recovered as of 8.30pm when Naijacrux reporter left the area.

A resident of Onabanjo Street, Joshua Oladipupo, said he witnessed the moment the helicopter lost control and plunged into the water.

He said, ?This afternoon around 3pm, I saw the chopper struggling to find a safe place to land. Suddenly, it nose-dived and I didn?t see it again. I rushed down to the scene. I saw two survivors swimming out of the lagoon.?

The Chairman of the boat operators group in the area, Alhaji Rasaq Isiaq, said he directed his men to rescue the victims immediately after the crash.

He said, ?Initially, the aircraft wanted to land on a two-storey building, but moved forward and crashed inside the lagoon. I called my boys instantly and notified the DPO of the station. We rescued six people alive while four were dead.?

Another eyewitness, Mrs. Funmilola Adebiyi said the security agents arrived in the area about 30 minutes after the incident.

The spokesperson for NEMA, Ibrahim Farinloye, said, ?The Accident Investigation Bureau will make proper briefing about the incident and other issues after investigation. We have asked the navy to help in the rescue operation.?

LASEMA General Manager, Mr. Michael Akindele, said the identities of the victims would be confirmed as soon as the manifest was received.

He said, ?We are still awaiting the manifest but we were told that 12 people were on board. The four corpses had been taken to the Mainland Hospital Mortuary. As I speak to you, rescue operations are still on.?

The General Manager, Public Affairs, Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority, Mr. Fan Ndubuoke, in a statement confirmed that 12 persons were on board the ill-fated aircraft.

He stated that workers were on ground to rescue the victims.

The NCAA statement read in part, ?A Bristow helicopter with registration number, 5N ? BDG ? 760540, en route from one of the nation?s oil rigs has crashed at Oworonshoki in Lagos this evening.

?The helicopter scheduled to arrive Lagos at 15.35pm had 12 people on board including the crew. However, the number of casualties has yet to be determined.

?At present officials of the Accident Investigation Bureau, National Emergency Management Agency and the Nigeria Police are at the site providing rescue operation for the victims.?

Bristow Helicopters Chief Pilot, Captain Obinna Ojiako, told reporter on the telephone that the company was still gathering information on the accident. He promised that a statement would be issued, which had yet to be done as of press time.

Officials from aviation agencies, including the Accident Investigation Bureau and the NCAA, told one of our correspondents that there were no indications that the pilot made a distress call before plunging into the lagoon.

Sources said Bristow officials had called aviation agencies to inform them that the aircraft they were expecting to land had yet to do so.