Happy New Year 2024 to all our members and visitors! Our Forum is Now Back Online After Some Critical Upgrade- We Apologize for the inaccessibility Period! Thank You all. CORONAVIRUS safety tips from Admin! 1. Watch your hands with running water 2. Dont cough in your hands 3. Keep distance from people 4. Stay indoor if neccessary!! Stay safe !!! Dear Members,Do you know that naijacrux is fully programmed to serve you better, Do you know that you can share your favorite post on naijacrux with friends on twitter,facebook, googleplus,myspace and many more! To share post on naijacrux with friends and family on twitter, facebook,googleplus,myspace,and many more, scroll to the down page of the post, Click on the Social Icon You Want To Share On To Share.

Author Topic: Covenant University student kidnapped and murdered by friend in Lagos  (Read 1754 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator

A 300 level Electrical Engineering student of the Covenant University, Otta in Ogun State, John Chinedu Okere, has been murdered and left in the pool of his blood by friends, who demanded for ransom from his parents.

According to reports, Chinedu, 20, left home Wednesday morning, August 6, 2014, to a Hospital in Yaba, Lagos for medical reasons and never returned.

He reportedly left home with about N6000 and that was the last time he was seen alive.

The mysterious disappearance of Chinedu caused tension as the parents ran helter-skelter in search of him to no avail.

They gathered from some family members that one of his friends called on phone earlier that morning to tell him to meet him at an undisclosed hotel.

At about mid-day, the victim?s father, Jude Okere, received an SMS notifying him that Chinedu had been kidnapped.

Later, he received a phone call from a hidden number demanding N10 million ransom for the release of his son. The caller allegedly threatened to kill the victim if the parents refused to comply as the line went dead.

Chinedu?s father said ?At about mid-day, I received an SMS that John had been kidnapped. Later, I received a phone call from a hidden number. The caller said they had my son, Chinedu and demanded N10 million as ransom threatening to kill him if we refuse to comply. Immediately, I inquired who the caller was, the line went dead. My wife and I quickly reported the case to the Divisional Police Station at Sabo, Yaba.?

After the case was reported to the Police at Sabo, Yaba, it was later transferred to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, Ikeja the next day where investigations commenced.

It was learnt that initially when the whole issue started, the family of the victim felt it was a kidnap that would just be resolved but unfortunately, as events continued to unfold, it turned out to be a premeditated murder. Shockingly, the decomposed corpse of Chinedu was discovered in one of the rooms at ?DE Homes Hotel? located in Ejigbo by one of their staff, two days later.

According to reports, the Manager of the hotel went to Ejigbo Divisional Police Station on Friday, 8, 2014, to report the case of murder and investigation began.

A reliable source in the hotel told Vanguard that early Wednesday morning, the prime suspect, Okorocha Michael along with another young man simply identified as Okey, checked into the hotel with the name Christian. ?He booked the room for three days with the name Christian. He claimed he was a youth corps member who wanted to write exams and would be there from that Wednesday to Friday. He also said he was expecting his Cousin to join him in the hotel.

?After booking, Michael left his friend Okey in the hotel and returned an hour before the victim, Chinedu arrived the hotel, which was at about 3pm that day. As soon as Chinedu arrived the hotel, Michael took him to the room. We don?t know what happened inside the room. However, it was later gathered that during their stay in the room, the suspect reportedly confronted the victim on some personal issues. The confrontation eventually led to a heated argument, which later led to the suspect strangulating the victim to death. On Friday, a hotel staff discovered the lifeless body of the young man and alerted the police.

The 24-year-old suspect, Okorocha Michael, who was arrested on Sunday, in a friend?s house around Ajah area in Lagos, is a graduate of Lagos City Polytechnic, Ikeja. He has been unemployed since he completed his youth service in February this year.