Widget powered by WhatstheScore.com

Author Topic: Jailed Al-Jazeera journalist arrives back in Qatar  (Read 134 times)

Offline mastercode

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Naijacrux
Jailed Al-Jazeera journalist arrives back in Qatar
« on: June 24, 2015, 09:15:11 AM »
Jailed Al-Jazeera journalist Ahmed Mansour arrived back in Qatar on Tuesday, blaming his controversial two-day detention in Germany on pressure from the Egyptian government.

Mansour's plane touched down in Qatar at 23:45, and he was greeted by a number of Al-Jazeera executives and members of his family in the VIP lounge of Doha's Hamad International Airport.

Speaking to reporters in Arabic, Mansour said: "There are lobbies that promote Sisi in the world and play the role of public relations.

"They put pressure on the German government because the Egyptian government is rubbish and has no value."

He added that his arrest had been "political".

"From the first second, I knew I was innocent, I did not do anything wrong or hurt anyone. Everything for me was clear, I was strong all the time."

German authorities released Mansour, 52, on Monday, having detained the prominent Arab TV journalist two days earlier at a Berlin airport in a move that baffled and angered rights and media groups.

He holds Egyptian and British dual nationality and was travelling on his British passport.

He said Britain had acted "shamefully" in doing little to help him after his arrest.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Former Maldives President Nasheed sent back to prison

Started by admin

Replies: 0
Views: 106
Last post August 24, 2015, 10:52:06 AM
by admin
British-Iranian woman jailed over volleyball protest released on bail

Started by jchima14

Replies: 0
Views: 135
Last post November 24, 2014, 09:17:43 AM