Follow Naijacrux on twitter .follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/naijacruxonline, or @naijacruxonline or search for naijacruxonline on twitter!!Like us on facebook .Like us at www.facebook.com/Naijacruxforum.Click Here To Last longer In Bed[Stay amused>>>Don’t be a one minute Foul]>>> Love need Tips-See how Here

Author Topic: How Britain's Homeless Crowdfund Their Way to Work  (Read 14429 times)

Offline lindaikeji

• Global Moderator
How Britain's Homeless Crowdfund Their Way to Work
« on: December 19, 2018, 01:29:38 PM »

When Hana fled to Britain with her son from East Africa, she was grateful to have found safety from persecution and a roof over her head in her sister's tiny London apartment.

It should have been a stop-gap, but a year on, the four still live together in cramped conditions, with Hana sharing a bed with her young son, and her sister doing the same with her toddler.

"When I came to Britain, I struggled with everything. It's very hard to be a single mum and homeless," said Hana, who did not share her full name for fear of repercussions.

With no job prospects, she had no chance of finding her own home in London, where rents are among the highest in the world.

Homelessness has been rising in England for nearly a decade, with over 82,000 families in temporary accommodation, including more than 123,000 children, government data shows.

But 32-year-old Hana is hoping to buck that trend, after a crowdfunding campaign by social enterprise Beam paid for her to study beauty therapy.

"It's been a dramatic change, now I will be a professional beauty therapist. Straight away I want to start a job, the day I finish my studies," Hana said in a phone interview.

She is one of about 50 homeless people who secured employment training through Beam, which it says is the world's first purpose-built platform that helps homeless people crowdfund donations through their online profile.

The participants, who are referred to Beam by homelessness charities, are also supported by caseworkers throughout their studies and job hunt.

"We really want to return people to a stage of independence. They should never be defined by their homelessness," said Beam founder Alex Stephany, who launched the platform last year.

He said each crowdfunding campaign is fully funded before a new one is launched to ensure each person has the chance to take a training course of their choice, be it accounting, dental nursing or carpentry.

"There are lots of people who need help, and also lots of people who want to help, and technology has a really important part to play in making it safe and easy for people to do that," Stephany said in an interview.

We are Leaving -Britain Unveils Law To aid Process of leaving the European Union

Started by yungcrux

Replies: 0
Views: 1478
Last post January 27, 2017, 10:28:29 AM
by yungcrux
Britain's PM Theresa May Slams Donald Trump for Retweeting Anti-Muslim Videos

Started by newspostng

Views: 1539
Last post December 01, 2017, 07:22:00 AM
by newspostng
Britain denies Claims It Was Slow to Evacuate Asylum-Seekers After disease outbreak

Started by legendguru

Views: 3295
Last post August 16, 2023, 09:00:13 AM
by legendguru
New British Prime Minister Theresa May reveals her vision for Brexit Britain

Started by internet police

Views: 1364
Last post July 15, 2016, 01:42:17 AM
by internet police
Britain Police Arrest Second Suspect In deadly Train Bomb Blast